Applicant FAQs

Applicant FAQs

Expand allClose all

If I obtain a doctorates degree from a Non-APA university, will I be able to obtain a Florida license?

If you received a doctorate degree in psychology from a non-APA accredited program, your education will not meet the requirements for application under any of Florida’s U.S. Trained Examination Methods for licensure. The only other application methods available, which do not have an explicit requirement for APA programmatic accreditation, are Endorsement of 10 Years Licensed Psychologist Experience and Endorsement of American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP) Diplomate. Non-U.S. trained applicants may apply as noted under the requirements outlined at

Review the Status of My Application

You may check the status of your application in real time via our online services, using your User ID and password. If you lose your User ID and password, contact Licensure Support Services at (850) 488-0595 to get this information. Note: We are in the process of making this service available to all professions. However, if your profession is not yet online, you must contact the board or council office directly to check on the status of your application.

Where should I mail my application and fees?

Mail your application and fees to:

Department of Health
Post office Box 6330
Tallahassee, FL 32314-6330

How can I get information on initial license requirements?

By visiting your board’s licensing page. Select your profession then click on Requirements.

Where should I call to check the status of my application?

The division’s call center at (850) 488-0595. We are open from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time. We’re closed on weekends and state holidays. You may email us at

After you receive my application, how long will it be before I get a response?

We will send you notification about the status of your application within 30 days after we receive it.

What criminal offenses may prevent me from obtaining a medical license?

You are required to report all criminal offenses to the Board. Each application will be evaluated on an individual basis. For more information on offenses that may prevent you from obtaining a medical license, see the links below:

What type of documentation do I need to submit in support of my application if I have a prior criminal record or licensure discipline?

  • If you have a criminal record, you must submit certified official court documents related to your criminal record, showing the date(s) and circumstance(s) surrounding your arrest(s)/conviction(s), sections of the law violated, and disposition of the case(s). Documents would normally consist of a complaint or indictment, a judgment, a docket sheet, or other documents showing disposition of your case. Some courts refer to these documents as an order of probation. A court clerk must certify these court documents before we can accept them.
  • If you have received discipline against any license that you have held, you must submit certified copies of the documents related to the disciplinary action taken. The documents must come from the agency that took the disciplinary action and must be certified by that agency.
  • You must submit a detailed description of circumstances surrounding your criminal record or disciplinary action.

Do I have to report charges if I completed a period of probation and the charges were dismissed or closed?

Yes. Offenses must be reported to the board even if you received a suspended imposition of sentence and the record is now considered closed.

Can a person obtain a license if they have a misdemeanor or felony crime on their record?

Each application is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. The board considers the nature, severity, and recency of offenses, as well as rehabilitation and other factors. The board cannot make a determination for approval or denial of licensure without evaluating the entire application and supporting documentation.

What crimes or license discipline must be reported on the application?

All convictions, guilty pleas, and nolo contendere pleas must be reported, except for minor traffic violations not related to the use of drugs or alcohol. This includes misdemeanors, felonies, “driving while intoxicated (DWI)” and “driving under the influence (DUI).”

Crimes must be reported even if they are a suspended imposition of sentence. All prior disciplinary action against any other professional licenses must be reported, whether it occurred in Florida or another state or territory.

Can I be granted an extension on an application after it has expired?

Section 456.013(1)(a), Florida Statutes does not allow for an extension. An incomplete application is only valid for one year.

How long will it take for my license to be issued?

Your license number will be issued within five to seven business days once your licensure application has been approved. Please allow ample time for mail delivery to receive your printed copy.

Do I have to send of the supporting documents for my application to the Board at the same time?

We encourage you to send as much information as possible to help expedite the licensure process.

Where should I send the supporting documents for my application?

Please mail all required supporting documents directly to the Board Office. For your Board’s mailing address, please visit the Contact page.

Can I check the status of my application online?

You may check the status of your application in real time via MQA Online Services Portal. Visit and select ‘ACCOUNT LOGIN’ from the lower upper right-hand corner of the screen. From there, click the ‘Applicant Login’. You will need your User ID and password to log in. If you lose your User ID and password, you can click ‘Forgot user ID’ or Forgot Password’ to retrieve them via email.